I don’t really know how to begin this blog other than by admitting that I should probably have started it much sooner. For those of you who do not yet know, Craig and I are adopting. We did not come to this decision lightly by any means. In fact, we spent about five years struggling to determine how we wanted our life to unfold in regard to having children. We repeatedly weighed all of our options, going back and forth discussing all the pros and cons of the different roads we could choose to travel from here on out. We were more or less stuck in our careful deliberations. Finally one year ago today on an ordinary evening at home, we were flipping through the TV channels and landed on a local special called “Love Knows No Borders” about orphans and adoption in Bulgaria. Both of us took this event as the sign we had been waiting for to guide us toward a decision. That night we resolved to investigate adoption agencies with Bulgaria programs as soon as the new year had begun. We followed through with our plan in January and on Valentine’s Day 2009 sent in our application for an adoption to our agency of choice. Yesterday, only one day off the one year mark, we got word from our agency that our adoption dossier has been registered with the Bulgarian Ministry of Justice which means we are officially waiting parents now.
Of course, the 365 days that have passed since we saw “Love Knows No Borders” have been filled with many adoption related tasks and lots of learning which I will recount in the posts to come, so stay tuned.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Viviane,
ReplyDeleteI have seen "Love knows no Borders" and marvel at how mayn orphans are in Bulgaria yet this week has opened a new "can or worms". Let us hope these children can find a way into our home! Good luck with the blog!
Congrats on starting your blog!! I started one... I will just leave it at that... I'm not good at posting right now.
ReplyDeleteTake a look at the new posts in the yahoo group. Lots of good information provided.
Yvonne
Welcome to the crazy ride of adoption! Excited to see more families adopting from Bulgaria.
ReplyDeleteHi, I came across your blog, as we are in the very beginning stages of looking into international adoption, and are drawn to bulgaria. I can't explain it, but I feel like our child is there. We've been researching and reading and trying to figure out where to start, and it seems like finding people who have been through this experience an dgetting advice is the best place to start…. we don't know anyone personally who has been down this road before. If you have time, I would love to contact you with some specific questions as starting this seems somewhat overwhelming!
ReplyDelete