While we were gathering documents and working on various homestudy tasks, we also completed our 12 credit hours of required homestudy training. We chose to fulfill these credits solely through reading because this was the most affordable option and because, due to my background, reading and writing are my preferred methods of absorbing and processing information.
Here’s a list of everything we read for the homestudy:
• Are Those Kids Yours? American Families with Children Adopted from Other Countries by Cheri Register
• “Developmental Recovery and Deficit in Children Adopted from Eastern European Orphanages” by Sharon Judge, PhD, University of Tennessee–Knoxville
• “Top 10 Secrets of Successful Adoption Travel” by Adoptive Families Magazine
• “Adoption Subsidy Guide” by The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services
• “Positive Adoption Language” by Adoptive Families Magazine
• “Talking to Your Three-to-Five-Year-Old About Adoption” by Adoptive Families Magazine
• “Infants and Young Children in Orphanages: One View From Pediatrics and Child Psychiatry” by Deborah A. Frank, MD, Perry E. Klass, MD, Felton Earls MDS, Leon Eisenberg , MD
• “Language Development in Internationally Adopted Children” by Boris Gindis Ph.D.
• “Culture, Heritage, and Stereotypes” by Jerri Ann Jenista; Adoptive Families Magazine
• Introduction to Transracial or Transcultural Adoption by www.adoption.com
• Raising Adopted Children by Lois Ruskai Melina
• Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today’s Parents by Deborah D. Gray
• “Helping Traumatized Children: A Brief Overview for Caregivers” by Bruce D. Perry
• “Bonding and Attachment in Maltreated Children: Consequences of Emotional Neglect in Childhood” by B. D. Perry
• Openness in Adoption: Factsheet for Families (http://www.childwelfare.gov/pubs/f_openadopt.cfm)
• “Talking to Your Six to-Eight-Year-Old About Adoption” by Adoptive Families Magazine
• Emotional Issues of Adoption
www.internationaladoptionhelp.com/international_adoption/international_adoption_emotional_issues
• Cultures of Transnational Adoption edited by Toby Alice Volkman
• The Family Book by Todd Parr
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
That is a lot, seems more than 12 hours of reading! The Weaver craft by Deborah Grey is a good one to. I think that is the title and author. It had weaver in the title. Any recommendations on which ones I should read from your list?
ReplyDeleteIt was for sure more than 12 hours of reading and we also had to write up summaries of everything we had read to prove that we did, I suppose. I don't regret choosing this option though, we learned a lot.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite selection was Attaching in Adoption: Practical Tools for Today’s Parents by Deborah D. Gray. If need be, I will definitely return to this book for help.
Anything from Adoptive Families Magazine was available online and is short and to the point and fairly informative. My favorite article was this one though, I think: “Language Development in Internationally Adopted Children” by Boris Gindis Ph.D.
I had to read the Attaching in Adoption one too and really think we will be using it alot too. We also had to do summaries but only had to read like 4 books i think it was. It was hard but I enjoyed it.
ReplyDelete