There are many insensitive statements people could make about adoption, but one term used even by those who advocate in the field really makes me cringe every time I hear or read it. What is this horrible and offensive word, you might wonder? Well, it's AVAILABLE as in children being available for adoption.
Think about the definition of the word available: obtainable or accessible and ready for use or service, not busy, not otherwise committed, convenient for use or disposal. While I know that this term is sometimes applied to people, such as, "The eye witness was not available for comment," to me, it's mostly inanimate objects that are available. For example, a library book may be available if it's not checked out or a car may be available for purchase once it arrives at the dealership.
By applying the term available to children waiting to be adopted, we objectify them and turn them into a commodity. Granted, some might say that children are any nation's most valuable and precious natural resource, but I still don't think we should refer to them in the same language that we use when renting a reception hall, buying a CD, or trying to get our cell phones to work in areas where service is not offered.
I understand that no one in the adoption community means to be offensive or negative when using the word available, but please join me in making an effort to remove this term from the way we speak or write about orphans waiting for parents. Personally, I have been using the word eligible instead, but if anyone else has other ideas, I would be happy to hear about them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this thought and I agree that eligible works better in adoption. Wonderful insight.
ReplyDeleteI also agree big tim, Viv.
ReplyDelete