Thursday, March 21, 2013

Frugal Mama's Clothes Recovery

I don't think it's a secret that I am a pretty frugal person.  I grew up in East Germany where the motto definitely was "Waste Not, Want Not" and where we often spent weeks, if not months, looking for a purchase.  Even though I am in completely different economic circumstances now, that mindset will, to a certain extent, always be with me and guide my choices.

For example, check out these clothes.  The Old Navy jeans fit Rex perfectly and were brand-new with tag.  I paid 50 cents for them.  Their only flaw?  A factory defect of a torn knee.  Frugal mama's fix: a two dollar iron-on patch.  The dress is Carter's from a yard sale.  I don't recall what I paid, but very likely $3 or less because that tends to be my rule of thumb for single items of clothing.  The problem?  Three small, but noticeable stains.  Frugal mama's fix after washing options failed: a few dollar's worth of adorable iron-ons and voila.


Call me crazy if you will, but I am kind of proud of my frugality which I came by honestly in the GDR.

1 comment:

  1. Love the patch idea for stains! I shop yard sales and thrift stores for clothes too, it is a huge savings. Have you tried making your own laundry soap? It works out to less than one cent per load, I kid you not:)

    ReplyDelete