If you follow this blog, you know that I am big time into picking and preserving my own fruit while it's in season, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that on Friday morning, Ms. Rie, Emilia and I ventured to the country to pick strawberries. The berries were so gorgeous and plentiful that it took us only an hour to pick 41 pounds at the cost of about $2.00 per pound. Of our loot, I took home 25 pounds and turned about two thirds of it into strawberry freezer jam (about 200 ounces) as well as strawberry sauce in the form of about 100 frozen cubes. The rest of the berries are in the fridge right now for eating and baking.
Here's my lovely Emilia with the strawberry fields behind her. Maybe next year she will be ready to help us pick rather than supervise from her stroller:
And this is just a snapshot that Ms. Rie captured (my camera lense was fogged over from being near the cold drinks in my bag):
If you have the chance, go out and pick some strawberries this season. They are luscious.
We have a little patch of 25 plants at our house and it's thriving this year. We're getting so many yummy berries that we're starting to freeze them. Love it!
ReplyDeleteJust canned up some strawberry jam this weekend too! I saved a step and just bought from the farmer's market. Love that fogged over photo...people use instagram to make their photos look like that so you saved a step. :-)
ReplyDelete