Sunday, December 21, 2014

Christmas Shopping

Yikes, need I say more?

Craig and I don't like shopping in stores.  Other than groceries and clothing, we buy just about everything online from the comfort of our couch.

In the years since the kids came home, we have not worried about Christmas presents.  Rex and Emilia never yet understood the gift-giving traditions and always have what they needed, so we did not feel that we had to purchase gifts to be opened on Christmas Day.  They did always receive presents from thoughtful family and friends and enjoyed them, but, like I said, they didn't comprehend why they were being showered with such generosity at this particular time of year.

In addition, Craig and I stopped giving each other presents several years ago.  It's never been terribly important to us and it's certainly not one of our love languages, so we just felt relief when we made this decision.  We are already richly blessed to have one another.

Now this year, there's Ella who is thrilled with all things Christmas and who knows Santa Claus brings gifts... which gets me back to the whole Christmas shopping thing.  After Ella's doctor's appointment on Friday, Craig, the girls and I set out to do some buying.  It was mostly me hopping into stores while everyone else waited in the car, armed with snacks, holiday tunes, etc.

Craig and I were in total agreement to keep the amount of presents and the spending at a reasonable level, so for under $250 total, our three kids will have their gifts on Christmas morning.  Emilia is getting the new mini Kindle which we ordered online (because Ella hogs the other one), a book and a homeschool workbook.  Rex is receiving a new set of bedding and two simple toys.  And Ella will find clothing and other supplies for her doll, stick-on earrings, and a new, cozy blanket under our imaginary tree.  There will also be some other presents that have been sent to us by family and friends from around the world.

Now, on to the final countdown to Christmas Eve, my favorite for holding each other tight and focusing on love and gratitude.  Surely time will fly as we keep packing and moving and unpacking our things and ready ourselves for our final holidays in this home.

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog! So many times I have tried to comment but some glitch prevents me-it is so frustrating!
    trying again, and a Happy Christmas to your beautiful, wonderful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the best Christmas Present strategies that I've ever heard is: Each child gets one thing from each category: Want, Need, Wear, Read. Keeps from going overboard and reduces the over arching greed that can accompany this time of the year. I wish we had that idea when our olders were young.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we kind of try for want, need, read. The wear usually gets covered by others, especially since we receive quite a few hand-me downs from the European cousins.

    ReplyDelete