One of the most problematic issues in the old house centered on toys as well as arts/crafts and educational supplies. We wanted the kids to have access, but we did not want these things all over the house all the time and I really wished for a family room that did not look like a daycare center around the clock. So, we decided to banish the kids' toys into a basement playroom complete with comfy couches, pillows, blankets and hopefully soon a swing. That room belongs to the kids. I don't care about the mess, they can leave it however they want. I don't pick up. It's 100% a child domain to play and relax. Meanwhile, I now have a cozy and comparatively well-organized family room that's my favorite space in the house. It's where we snuggle on the couch, watch TV, read books, and just hang out together.
But there was still the matter of arts/crafts and educational items. We own a great school cubby storage unit that I bought at a fraction of the original price from a daycare that was closing its infant room. In the old house, it held shoes and outdoor gear. In our new home, I decided to return it to more of its intended purpose and use it to store all of our educational supplies and some of our arts/crafts. We have found a perfect spot for the cabinet by our main entry way where it's not in constant sight of the kids, but they know it's there if they want something. Each bin holds themed activities and is labeled. I just used painter's tape for this purpose rather than anything more permanent and fancy because the contents of the bins is going to change as the kids get older.
Ella and Emilia know that they can only get out one bin at a time and need to return it before choosing a different one. This has been a huge help in reducing clutter and messes in our home. It also encourages the girls to focus on one activity and choose thoughtfully what they would like to do. Ella also often selects a bin to take upstairs into her bedroom during quiet/ nap time, so she has some entertainment while resting.
It may not be the traditional choice for an entry and we're certainly not going to win any interior design awards, but we love how this set-up is working for us at this time.
Fantastic system! Well done!
ReplyDeleteSo first I must say I am thoroughly envious you have a room, any room, that can be used as a spare playroom. In our house, the basement is dirt and upstairs there are two SMALL bedrooms, one for kiddo, one for adults. So that means play is in her bedroom or the living room and it is a constant battle to keep things in order. I do so wish for just one (even tiny) room that could serve as the playroom.
ReplyDeleteThat said, I love the bins and do the same (though not labeled), but--again--still struggle getting you-know-who to put one activity away before beginning another...or twenty others ;)