November 26 - Thanksgiving with family
December 5 - Party with Santa at CCHMC
December 6 - Bake sale and concert for Eden
| Julane performing |
December 12 - Making Christmas cookies and family hike (we use that word instead of walk now since it's a verbalization Rex is making independently because he enjoys hikes very much and requests them)
December 13 - Decorating gingerbread houses and holiday dinner with grandparents and uncle
December 19 - The circus for Craig, Rex and Ella
December 21 - The end of our local cookie sale fundraiser
December 22 - The Nutcracker with the girls
December 24 - Pogoplay with Miss Claire (aka Rex's girlfriend) and Christmas Eve indoor picnic
December 25 - Quiet Christmas at home just the five of us
December 27 - Christmas breakfast with aunt, uncle and cousins followed by Pogoplay
December 28 - Holiday dinner with more cousins
January 1 - New Year's brunch with grandpa and Michelle
Keeping traditions and making special memories is hard work. I know this is what will stick with us for the rest of our lives, but there's always someone who has to put in the effort to make it all happen and clean up afterward. I've had to let go of some traditions from the past in order to make this season the most fun for the kids without my becoming completely stressed out and overwhelmed which I did anyway. It's a work in progress. I am learning to shift priorities and to say no when necessary. I am learning to make things easier on myself.
Things that I simplified in 2015:
1) Christmas Eve picnic - cold finger foods - no cooking, five minutes prep time - family loved it
2) Christmas Day traditional cinnamon rolls - made those ahead of time and froze in the pan which I then just had to pop into the oven for brunch - delish
3) Christmas Eve dinner - Chinese carry-out - perfect
4) Teacher and therapist gifts - gift cards with a note/picture made by the respective child - easy and well-received
5) Christmas card list whittled down to a minimum - I gave up a 15 year tradition of sending cookies to family and friends
6) Carry-out kept my sanity in December
Notes to self for 2016:
1) While the tree didn't topple in 2015, the kids enjoyed our Christmas lights on the family room ceiling much more than the tree. We only hung those lights for a few days, but next year, instead of a tree, we could do lights only in a more organized fashion for the entire season. I just bought five strings of white lights for 5 bucks, so we're ready.
2) Gingerbread houses were fun and a great way to decorate the mantle, so we should do that again.
3) Carry-out is my friend.
4) Shop way ahead for presents if possible.
5) Getting away from home for a few days would be good - somewhere with a pool.
No comments:
Post a Comment