What? Three weeks of the girls's summer break are over already? I can't believe it. We did a lot of good school work here last week and I am proud of the girls for hanging in there with a rather tough teacher.
Ella continued with daily math, reading and spelling. We made an underwater-themed collage and experimented with creating foam. Per chance, we came across the subject of fractions and Ella very much enjoyed it and quickly understood the basic concept. I guess you'll just never know what makes sense to a certain learner at a certain time. Ella needed to write a thank you note for a lovely gift she received from a friend, so we turned that task into her main writing project for the week. Our week-long theme was about plants and we did several fun work sheets and successfully grew chia seeds in our kitchen window. Ella really had fun with this subject.
 |
| Week 3 Work Wall |
 |
| Elephant Toothpaste Experiment |
Emilia is doing wonderfully. We are continuing to knock out the sight words and are now focusing more on her IEP objective of reading 60 words from the Fry First 100 list. She is also learning about directionality of print by reading sentences made up of sight words she knows. She's doing such a great job. And, she's almost mastered identifying and naming all the numbers between 11 and 21, another new IEP goal. I thought this would take much longer, but I guess I should never underestimate the power of Easter eggs.
My mom, Ella and I went blueberry picking last week and came home with over 12 pounds. Ella picked more than one pound all by herself and really enjoyed the experience as well as eating lots of the berries in the car. We've made blueberry pancakes and cobbler and are otherwise snacking away. Emilia is a big fan of blueberries (and also watermelon this year).
 |
| Blueberry Loot |
 |
Blueberry-Lemon Cobbler
|
This week is our last official week of summer home school and a much shorter week. Let's see how it shakes out.
No comments:
Post a Comment