Friday, October 7, 2016

The Best Of Times, The Worst Of Times

While I have written here a lot about the fun things we experienced this past summer, from several trips to extended family visits to successful home school to lazy hours by the pool, I have not said anything about the challenges we have faced this season as a family.

I started last year to plan Rex’s transition from his preschool/K program to our school district and private in-home ABA. I did everything in my power to make things go smoothly and in Rex’s best interest, but after he graduated from the private program that had been his academic and therapeutic home for four years, medical providers who were supposed to be part of the new Team Rex failed us and especially him.  Consequently, Rex went for three months without his ABA therapy and experienced a heartbreaking regression in his development.  I don’t want to share too much because it’s painful and still raw, but suffice it to say that Craig and I were less devastated when we received Rex’s complex diagnosis in 2011 than when we were seeing our precious son deteriorate through no fault of his own.  His challenges have placed a strain on our entire family these last few months with the girls going on not enough attention, Craig and I running on little sleep and energy, and the house and yard… well, let’s not even mention how things look in that area of our lives. 

We tried to weather this storm alone at first, but as we were getting more and more worn, we decided to reach out for some help.  I want to express my gratitude to three of Rex’s former therapists who came on little notice to spend time with him over a couple of especially hard weeks, to Rex’s former school for allowing him to attend a partial day for two additional weeks after his official last day, to our cousin who provided Ella with some much needed respite and fun, and to trusted former therapists who guided our search for a new medical provider for Rex.

A few weeks ago, Rex's ABA finally started up again under the umbrella of a different company.  He works between 20-25 hours a week with a therapist one on one in our home and soon, if all goes according to plan, in the community as well.  We hope that he can quickly find his way back to where he was in the beginning of June 2016.  In just six sessions, we are already seeing noticeable improvements which gives us great hope.  If there's a silver lining to this entire situation, we now have proof positive that ABA works for Rex and that without it, his diagnoses escalate into dangerous territory.

Rex is a bright and loving boy who suffered a setback. We know that he will fight his way forward like he’s always done and that we will be beside him every step of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the setbacks. Our healthcare system is so aggravating. Glad to hear he's making strides back in the right direction and I hope it continues to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the definition of an advocate, Viviane. Keep fighting!

    ReplyDelete