Friday, May 19, 2017

First Grade

Rex will be a first grader next year... can you believe it?

At his IEP meeting in January the school had told us categorically no on Rex leaving early each day in the 2017/18 school year to attend his medical ABA therapy.  First grade is full day and Rex was expected to spend seven hours in this setting.

I came home from this IEP meeting and began doing my research. I consulted with an educational advocate in our school district and made a game plan.  Multiple letters of medical necessity and supporting data about Rex's progress through ABA later, Rex has now officially received permission from the school to leave at 1:00 pm each day in the coming school year to complete his weekly 25 hours of ABA therapy.

I am so relieved that we can continue on with a combination of services that has worked beautifully for Rex since September.  I know we will continue to see big strides from our awesome boy.


No comments:

Post a Comment