Saturday, November 11, 2017

First Nations & Colonial Day

Ella and I have been working hard in social studies, learning about Native Americans, explorers, settlers, colonies, etc.  Yesterday, we decided to go hands on by having a day of cooking that would celebrate American culinary traditions from hundreds of years ago.

We churned butter and since we do not have a churn, we used a jar.  Having to shake that jar for a long time gave us a small idea of the physically hard work people did daily hundreds of years ago.



We baked bread:


And then we put them together:



We cooked Stewed Pompion (a Pilgrim standing dish) and Nasaump (a Wampanoag recipe) for dinner.  We liked both.



And even though our kitchen was a crazy top to bottom mess at the end, Ella and I had a lot of fun yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. If you ever get to Washington DC, you must check out the Museum of the American Indian. The food court has all kinds of different Native people food. So yummy! (it's a little pricey but museum admission is free so I figure it's worth it)

    ReplyDelete