Sunday, March 3, 2019

Waste Not, Want Not

I grew up in a country where things were relatively scarce when compared with US standards in the same historical period.  From cucumbers and tomatoes in the winter to building materials or sandals and jeans, we learned early to waste not, want not.  We were experts in frugality and foraging.  I remember as a child picking blueberries and collecting mushrooms in the forest and seeing people trade a box of nails for a few bags of concrete mix.  We grew and preserved our own fruits and vegetables and my friends and I pulled our wagons through our little town collecting newspapers and glass which we sold by the pound or piece at the recycling station to earn spending money.  I watched houses begin to go up in my neighborhood that couldn't be finished for years due to a lack of materials and was more than used to seeing my hand me down clothes on my sister, cousins, and friends for many seasons.

I was also raised by the generation that had survived the lean years of World War II and by their children who had been born into the lean post-war years.  Their perspective and behavior shaped the person I am today.

Therefore, even now as an adult who is grateful to have plenty, it's no secret that you'll find me scouring the clearance racks and second hand stores.



My weekly grocery run always leads to mark-down food finds

I am a u-pick fan and I reuse whatever whenever possible.  And sometimes I find a broken thing and see its potential just like my Opa always did.



I am very thankful for these experiences of my childhood which did not only include prudence and foresight, but also the hospitality and generosity of my maternal grandparents and my parents.  All of it combined is at the root of me, now and always.

No comments:

Post a Comment