When the school year began for my two younger children in mid-August, I started a new tradition. Right after they board the bus, I begin a 15 minute walk that, at the end, crosses paths with their school bus again as it finishes its loops through nearby neighborhoods. There's a big oak tree and I stand near it to wave to Rex and Emilia once more while they make their way to school. It took Emilia just a few days to figure out that I was going to be there and wave back to me, but Rex didn't seem to notice me for weeks.
But then one magical morning at the beginning of this month Rex saw me there and his face lit up and he blew me a kiss unlike any before. My heart skipped a beat and I was filled with joy. And I realized again that while my sweet boy does not always keep pace with his companions, when he eventually gets it (whatever it is), he is all in and in for good. Since that morning, when the bus slows to a stop at the three-way by the oak tree, Rex's face is turned to where he knows I will be standing and he flashes me his biggest, happiest smile every single time, reminding me that I am one lucky, lucky mama to be loved so wholly and unconditionally by my son who marches to the beat of a different drummer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment