Friday, February 14, 2020

Valentine's Day 2020

For the last two weeks our family has been riddled by various illnesses and the kids have missed plenty of school, needing lots of rest as well as time and attention from mama and daddy.  I unapologetically scrapped plans for a Valentine's gathering with friends at our home and just tried to survive.  Some lucky frozen pizzas, several in-need-of-attention counter tops, and patiently waiting mountains of laundry later, I found myself considering Valentine's Day and how we might celebrate just a little bit in the chaos.  Fortunately, I had already bought the kids Valentines for school from an adoption fundraiser and two out of three kids were well enough to hand theirs out in person.  But I was not in the frame of mind to create a special meal for our family, so pre-made to the rescue: canned soup, a roll of pizza dough, eggnog and Betty Crocker.  And voila!





Meanwhile, friends and neighbors, unaware of our situation, showered us with cookies and cupcakes from local bakeries this week.  Just those little gestures of love were enough to help us get through the feverish hours, the piles of tissues, and the words "I am very hurting."

And then today, we got the mail and my too-far-away friend, one of the few who's been aware of the Code Orange around here lately, showered me with treats that she knows will lift my spirits through this stretch.  And sometimes, even on Valentine's Day, you can get by with a little help from your friends.


Happy Valentine's Day!

1 comment: