Thursday, July 28, 2022

Eleven Years Ago

I cannot let this day end without taking note: 11 years ago today, also a Thursday, our Middle Kiddo set foot on US soil and started his new life.  How hard even the simplest things were for him then, how he struggled and fought against his past to open his heart to us and to the world.



I hadn't remembered today's significance until we were hiking through woods alongside a stream and Middle Kiddo was looking wide-eyed at the tree tops and making his way over rocks and roots, stopping to wait for us and forging ahead, smiling and interacting.  And suddenly I realized... it's been 11 years.


After the hike, we went out to lunch, and Kiddo had his favorite: 12 slices of bacon and water.  And he sat at the table so calmly, so much a beloved part of our family, so secure, so confident and the difference was striking.  Then he went with us to an old grist mill and the mechanics of the thing fascinated him to no end.  He listened when called, accepted our arms around his shoulders, and walked by our side in the knowledge that we are his people, now and always.


Today was a really good day.  There are more and more of them with some tough ones sprinkled in to keep us on our toes.  I am in awe of what has been overcome and accomplished through hard work, through love, through a supportive village.  I look at my son's face and it couldn't be more beautiful to me, radiating humor, curiosity, affection, and happiness.  This is life at its best and we're thankful to be a part of his.

No comments:

Post a Comment