Thursday, December 22, 2022

Hip Hip Pooray

I was cleaning out some stacks of old papers over the weekend and came across this laminated visual aid that had been created for Middle Kiddo at some long-ago point.  Looking at it made me realize how far he has come.  He is independent with toileting skills now.


Once upon a time when I was a brand-new mom, a geneticist told me that I should prepare myself to diaper my adult son.  While I would do whatever is needed for my child, he, his dad, his therapists and I worked hard to defy the odds.  It took time and many quirky steps along the way, so much practice and encouragement, as well as figuring out some medical stuff along with his own intrinsic motivation to see him succeed.  This week, with the visual aid still fresh on my mind, I caught myself watching him as he exited the bathroom, toilet flushing behind him and hands smelling of soap with his shirt just slightly askew across his back... and I smiled.


My son's human worth has never been and will never be determined by his skills or by how he navigates the world. I would love him the same wearing a diaper as I do when he sports boxer briefs.  But I still want to acknowledge and celebrate his hard-won victories toward increased independence and a wonderful quality of life unique to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment