When you have neurodivergent kids, there are some things that professionals will tell you your children will never do and others you are realistic about yourself in terms of your child's perceived ability to accomplish them or not. And there are times where you accept it and make your peace with it and other times when you push and work against the predictions.
Middle Kiddo has strong communication about things that are important to him, but for years I have told people not to expect him to make small talk. My usual example in such discussions has been, "He's never going to talk about the weather."
Well, last week Middle Kiddo was on a nature walk with his therapist and she mentioned the next day's forecasted snow. And sure enough, Middle Kiddo responded (and I am paraphrasing here), "I'm over the snow and cloudy days and ready for blue skies and heat."
So, it looks like I was wrong and I'm glad for it. It's been a good reminder to never say never.
No comments:
Post a Comment