Those of you who know me personally are aware that I am an avid and discerning reader of books and lover of literature. Therefore, it should not come as a surprise that I am now using this blog to recommend a novel.
Last week I finished The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini and it was one of the best books I have read in recent memory. The plot is exciting with many unexpected twists and turns and the themes range from father-son relationships and childhood friendships to guilt, trauma, politics, and forgiveness. Add to that a fascinating helping of Afghan culture as well as 20th century Afghan history and you have a worthwhile, memorable page-turner with characters so real that it makes you wonder if you're reading a memoir rather than fiction.
In addition - and this is how the novel connects to this blog - the Kite Runner is a story about adoption. I do not want to spoil anything, so I will not divulge details. Instead, you'll just have to read for yourself or, if you don't have time for the book, watch the movie which I haven't seen and, therefore, cannot endorse.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Will have to get it, will it be in the library or is it new?
ReplyDeleteIt's a few years old, I think. I got a copy from the local library after having to wait for several weeks because it was always checked out and/or on reserve.
ReplyDeleteViviane
ReplyDeleteI loved that book. I also LOVED 1000 splendid suns. if you have not checked out shelfari give it a try if you have some time. you can display a book case of your favs in on the side bar of your blog
amie