I started off my culinary extravaganza with a summery fruit cake which I took to a picnic. It had three layers: pound cake, vanilla cream and fresh berries.
Next, I made almond tea cookies which got a big thumbs up from everyone who tasted them. They may be contenders for our annual Christmas treat packages this year. Then, I made pitas from scratch and was fascinated by their baking process. I squatted in front of the oven door like a little kid watching the air spread through the dough, making it rise and puff. When Craig came home and saw the pitas on the dinner table, he said, “You made those? They look real!” Thanks, honey.
Then I made a lemon sponge pie which is absolutely delicious, especially for a lover of lemony things like me. I also prepared a vegetable frittata which turned out well, but is probably not something I couldn’t replicate or even improve upon without the recipe. On Wednesday, I pickled some cucumbers and shared with the neighbors and on Saturday, I turned part of our wonderful tomato harvest into canned salsa. Last but not least, today I made and froze pesto from homegrown basil as well as finished a no knead everything bread. It rises overnight and then bakes. So yummy.
Did cooking and baking and canning beyond the normal daily meals help with the wait? I would say it did. It gave me a couple of hours each day to focus my mind on a pleasant task and then enjoy and share the fruits of my labor with those I love. I’ll probably use this strategy again sometime when it feels like the wait is about to overwhelm me.
Hey Viviane!! Can I come over for dinner? Save me some of those pitas and pound cake:-) It all looks great!! Sounds like you're using your wait time well!!
ReplyDeleteCan you share your pita recipe?? I'd be interested in trying to recreate a GFDF version...and if it turns out, I can let you know how I tweaked it! (Or, if you've already done so, let me know!) :)
ReplyDelete