Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Summer's Bounty

While we wait for our children to be found and join our family, another season of gardening has come and almost gone. Even though my suburban garden is only about 55 square feet in size, this year we have been incredibly blessed with a bountiful harvest that is still going strong. Here’s a picture of what I picked this morning to use in today’s meals:


To date from eight plants, we have harvested 393 tomatoes of all sizes from cherry tomatoes to those big beefy ones. We grew about 30 bulbs of garlic which we continue to enjoy along with a seemingly endless supply of basil, green onions, and parsley. We had around a dozen cucumbers and zucchinis, lettuce early in the spring, and carrots still to come. I might put in another row of lettuce and more green onions soon, and of course, I need to plant garlic for next year. The one thing that didn’t turn out this season are the green beans which usually climb on the deck posts. Oh well, you win some, you lose some. I won’t complain.

I hope that in the summer of 2011 we will share our garden’s bounty with our children and that my love of gardening will be transferred to them as they grow up.

2 comments:

  1. The veggie's look wonderful! You are right next year you will be able to share them with your children::)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you garden!! I'm a big tomato fan, and you just can't get great ones in the grocery...they HAVE to come from gardens or farmers markets!! Your little ones are lucky that their mom will show them how to appreciate the goodness of the earth in this way!!

    ReplyDelete