Monday, September 13, 2010

Flower Fundraiser & Giveaway

Recently, Craig and I overhauled the landscaping in the front of our house and as part of this process I thinned out my iris bulbs. These bulbs were given to me several years ago by a dear friend who has since passed away, so they are very special to me aside from being quite beautiful. I have moved these bulbs with me through three states and hope to keep them as part of my landscaping for the rest of my life. Here’s a picture of my irises from 2009:


The bulbs bloom in three colors: a silvery light blue, a soft pink, and a dark purple and white. You won’t find these colors at Lowe’s or Home Depot. My friend collected iris bulbs for decades and had at least 50 different colors of blooms alongside her driveway every year. She shared the blue irises with me because they were my favorite, the purple/white ones because they were Craig’s favorite, and she gave me the pink irises because she said that particular color reminded her of me.

I receive lots of compliments on these flowers every year from neighbors and visitors alike. As I have done many times before in the spirit of my friend, I would like to pay it forward, so I am giving away a box of mixed iris bulbs to the first person who reads this blog entry, then emails me and says he/she would like them.

In order to raise more funds for our children’s orphanage(s), I am also offering for sale additional boxes (8 5/8" x 5 3/8" x 1 5/8") of bulbs for $5 each plus $5 flat rate USPS shipping unless you’re local and we can exchange the items in person. Simply email me at viviane8 @ yahoo.com if you’re interested in buying some of these bulbs which will make gorgeous flowers next year. First come, first served while these supplies last:

Needless to say, any and all proceeds will benefit the orphanage(s) in which our children reside.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats to my friend Amie who just won the giveaway!

    There are still bulbs for sale, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bummer!!! They are beautiful. I try to only put things in or around my house that have meaning to me. What a great story they would have been.

    Congrats Amie!!!!! It could not have gone to a nicer person:)))

    Hugs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY!! I just finished reading the blog and saw that we can buy a box for cheap and a great cause. I will email you V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One last box of bulbs left. Hurry if you want it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to everyone who ordered a box of bulbs. Every last one is sold now and we raised $40 for the orphanage(s), bringing our fundraising total so far to an even $400. I know my friend would be so happy to see her beautiful irises do such good in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some of our generous friends paid more than $5 for the bulbs to help with our fundraising efforts. I just received another check with ten additional dollars on it, so our iris bulb sale raised $50. Thanks again to everyone who contributed!

    ReplyDelete