Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Family Christmas 2010

On Saturday, Craig and I hosted a little family Christmas gathering at a cabin we rented at a local campground. We met up with everyone in the afternoon and then spent the next six hours chatting, frolicking in the snow, hanging around the campfire, eating, and playing games. Here are a few photos:


Yes, my nephews rode their bikes and sleds on the frozen pond with encouragement and participation from their uncle, my husband. Such shenanigans are par for the course any time those guys get together.

Despite the snow, we had a nice campfire going and even made smores.


For dinner, I had prepared baked spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, and from scratch potato soup. Judging by the nearly non-existent amount of leftovers, everything must have tasted great. For dessert, I made a chocolate cake with peanutbutter icing. I decided to try my hand at marshmallow fondant again which went much better than my first foray into this sphere. Still, I kept it simple and just cut out some fondant stars to decorate the cake. I think it turned out well.


After dinner, some of our guests returned home, but Craig’s sister and her sons stayed overnight in the cabin with us. Before bed, we played games for a few hours in the loft which put a new twist on Charades: no standing up while acting out the words. Here is Craig giving our middle nephew some help with how to convey a term to the rest of us:

On Sunday morning, there was time for breakfast and for opening Christmas presents, but then we had to pack up and go home.


I just can’t wait for our little guy to be part of all this fun in the years to come.

3 comments:

  1. Love the cake, great job. Looks like a fun tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful weekend you had!!! It looks like a great way to spend time with family at this time of year!

    ReplyDelete