On November 18, 2010 in his birth country, we signed the paperwork declaring our wish to adopt our son. From there we knew we needed one final approval from his government which we were told to expect around New Year’s. So we waited and waited until today, January 27, 2011, with no approval having come our way. Instead, we got a phone call from our agency this afternoon telling us that our son’s government just requested an updated local criminal background check for Craig, including a rolled fingerprint card. Of course, these documents need to be apostilled and rushed to Eastern Europe so that our case is not considered abandoned by our son’s government. Did you hear that? Abandoned! As if there were anything we want more in this world than to adopt this cherished child! If you need a reminder, just look at this photo of my little guy and his daddy:
So here we are. Ten weeks have gone by since I last held my little boy and we are not one step closer to bringing him home. This isn’t the first time that government bureaucracy has cost us time. The Ohio child abuse check took more than six weeks when other states are able to turn these requests around next day. Trust me, I know, we have to get this particular clearance from five different states. The NBC process took over three months because our adjudications officer had some very subjective and imaginative ideas on how to interpret the verbiage of our home study. Meanwhile a little boy is an orphan waiting for his parents and for the medical treatments and therapies he needs.
The bottom line is this: We love our son and we want him home as soon as possible, so we have rushed around this evening and will do so again tomorrow to get this newly requested paperwork assembled, apostilled, and overnighted to our agency. My hope is that in the next ten days or so, we will finally have the approval we need to move forward with this adoption state-side.
The bottom line is this: We love our son and we want him home as soon as possible, so we have rushed around this evening and will do so again tomorrow to get this newly requested paperwork assembled, apostilled, and overnighted to our agency. My hope is that in the next ten days or so, we will finally have the approval we need to move forward with this adoption state-side.
Oh, Viviane!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry. I can't even think of anything else to say. I'll pray for good "running around" weather for tomorrow!
Your Neighbor
Viviane,
ReplyDeleteI hope it goes quickly... I aslo had to send this... but my in country team asked me to do this as soon as I left and send it back as soon as possible, so I don't think I lost too much time... and I was able to do a local clearance... not an FBI. I hope that is the case for you too.
Good luck,
Yvonne
Viviane,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear about these delays. I know there is nothing I can say to make it feel better...it is just plain old brutal. I keep using that word throughout this adoption process because I cannot find a better word to describe the emotions. I'll be praying that this is the last of the needed paperwork and that you will have your baby boy soon...and that God is preparing his heart to be your little boy and that all the time away will not impact his memory of you and all your love.
Lori
Yvonne,
ReplyDeleteFortunately, we were only asked for a local clearance which you can get same day in our county. However, no one expected this request as this has never happened in the near decade of our agency working in our son's country. Everyone was/is completely baffled. We're simply working as quickly as possible to comply and move this adoption forward.
Viviane, all I can say is I know your pain! Been there, running around to get stuff off ASAP and then WAITING sooo long. Will lift you up in prayer that from now on out it will go smoothly and you will have your son home soon. hugs
ReplyDeleteEveryone,
ReplyDeleteThanks for your support and encouragement. The documents are currently on their way to our agency.