Wednesday, May 23, 2012

The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year

Gardening season.

Every January I start itching to get back out into my little suburban garden, but since planting is months away, I bide my time with ordering seeds. Here's what I got this year. I even put something special into the mix for Rex. Can you spot it?


Since we had a very mild winter, many things came right back in the spring and we were able to harvest parsley, oregano, chives, green onions and rosemary very early in the season and continue to do so.  Then it was finally time to put in the early crops.  And a few weeks ago I added tomatoes, cucumbers and squash.


I enjoyed these beautiful radishes in a salad made with chopped parsley, salt, pepper and sour cream.  It's a childhood favorite.


 We've had several salads made with the mixed lettuces I grew:


And here are the shallots I just harvested today.  Yum, so many ways to enjoy these...


It's been a great season so far for my little garden.  I love working in it on mild evenings.  It relaxes me.  And I so enjoy the fruits of my labor, too.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. Gardening is like meditation for me. I sure wish I had more time for it these days but we've got peas, favas, tons of herbs, and salad fixin's growing.

    I tried Armenian cukes myself one year. They didn't do too well but our weather (wet and a slow start summer) isn't like yours. They can be HUGE! I can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a little jealous because I can't grow anything.

    ReplyDelete