Saturday, January 19, 2013

GFDF Continued

We are three weeks into the gluten-free, dairy-free diet for Rex and still going strong.  As I admitted earlier, I was scared to try it, but it's really been an easy transition, except for on the pocketbook.

Since we started the diet, Rex's therapists have described him as more socially aware, more verbal, more willing and able to accept redirection and being told no, and less focused on his usually preferred activities.  His daily reports have noted his happy mood, laughter, and cooperation.  The calming effect we saw initially seems to be wearing off a bit, but we still find that, outside of menacing his sister, Rex's attitude is more positive.  He's simply full of joyful energy.  Rex still needs to take his laxative, but we also noticed that he seems to have an easier time with his bowel movements.  Since the full effect of the diet can take months to show, we are excited to see what else is in store.

Now, for the logistics, I wanted to provide a few details.  Today, we made a Whole Foods run and bought supplies for two weeks for Rex.  These are simply things that are specifically GFDF.  There are obviously other foods that I will prepare and that Rex will eat, but these are packaged ingredients and/or items he will need.



And here's the ouch:



I have started keeping a list of things that Rex enjoys eating now and wanted to share it as well. The list keeps growing as I offer new or new again selections.

1) Vegan grilled cheese sandwiches
2) GFDF homemade English muffin pizza



3) Baked sweet potato with brown sugar and vegan buttery spread
4) Mashed banana and avocado
5) GF waffles with maple syrup
6) GF toast with cinnamon and vegan buttery spread
7) GF sandwich with vegan cream cheese
8) GF PBJ
9) Bananas
10) GF salami sandwich
11) Homemade soups
12) Potato and egg casserole
13) GFDF homemade blueberry muffins
14) GFDF spicy buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips
15) Homemade fruit smoothies
16) Rice crackers with seeds
17) Sea salt potato chips
18) Almond milk yogurt
19) Lightly salted almonds and cashews
20) GF Chex cereal

Coming up next I will try GF pasta with marinara, vegan burgers, GF popcorn, GF snack mix with vegan chocolate chips, and almond milk pudding.  I also found a GFDF chocolate spread online that I want to order for Rex and I asked my Kroger store to special order the new GF Rice Krispies for me.  Rex did not like the GFDF crepes though the rest of us did and he has not enjoyed the almond milk icecream but Emilia is a fan.

If anyone else is out there with more GFDF experience than me, I'd love to have recipes of stuff your kids actually eat, especially when they are like my boy and not much into fresh fruits/veggies or meat.

2 comments:

  1. My sister is gluten free- check out to see if there are any co-ops around you. They have great food choices for people with food allergies or sensitivities and once you pay your annual fee the prices aren't as bad as Whole Foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try looking at the ideas on http://www.amysglutenfreepantry.com/

    ReplyDelete