Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Mama, Mama, Mama

As the mother of a child who is largely nonverbal, I often wonder what he thinks and feels and how much he understands of the world around him and of his own story.  I have to believe that it is more than seems possible and that a part of him is aware of everything within his realm of existence.  Sometimes, very unexpectedly, there are moments that allow me to glimpse into Rex's mind and soul and confirm this belief.

This morning, Rex and I had a heart to heart on the stairs.  I was telling him the story of how we found him and how I loved him for a long time before we ever met.  I also told him how his daddy and I had to travel all the way to Armenia to adopt the best little boy in the whole wide world and how he would always be our son now, forever and ever.  When I stopped, Rex leaned back against the stair behind him, looked at me and said, "Mama, Mama, Mama."

Three little words: nothing more, nothing less.  Three words for Rex to let me know that he understands.  Three words for him to reach out to me and show me his love.  Three words that mean everything.

5 comments: