Monday, May 6, 2013

The Little Things

Well, it’s Monday and it’s been rainy here in our neck of the woods.  On a day like this, it’s the little things that keep you going.  Here’s some of what made me happy today.

Emilia was playing with her doll this afternoon, calling it baby and letting it dance and jump.  Then she suddenly placed the doll’s head against her shoulder and patted its back.  She kept it there for quite a while and gave it a tight hug.  This is the first time I have ever seen her express affection toward her doll like this and my heart skipped a beat when I realized that Emilia was holding and comforting the doll in the same way I do with her.  It was so wonderful to witness her engaging in rudimentary pretend and social play.  Made this mama beam.

Since Monday is salad night at our house and Rex doesn’t go for much roughage, I made him a grilled cheese sandwich instead.  I decided to put about two tablespoons of pureed yellow squash between the slices of bread along with the rice cheese of the same color.  I was hoping Rex would still eat the sandwich even with a hidden vegetable component and he did.  Hurray.

Emilia had the first part of her preschool evaluation today and she did so well.  She showed off many of her skills and was interactive with the people from the school district.  I was very proud of the way she handled herself in the unknown environment with total strangers.  I was less than pleased, however, with what our district offers for preschool, so the chances that we will be sending Emilia there in the fall are slim to none.  However, I still would like to access therapies for her through the district, so the evaluations will continue next week.

During the preschool evaluation, I learned that because of when Emilia’s birthday is we will have a choice to let her start kindergarten at age 5 or age 6.  For me, that’s a no-brainer. Of course, we will start our tiny girl at age 6.  This gives us two more years from this fall until we even need to worry about any formal schooling which makes me very happy.  By then we should have a much better idea about whether she can handle a conventional school setting or will be homeschooled.

One of Rex’s therapists had been out on sick leave for the last two months.  She was very close to Rex at the time she left and today was her first day back in the classroom.  When Rex saw her in the hallway this morning, he instantly smiled his widest from ear to ear, jumped up and down excitedly, and then took Ms. Kyrie’s hand to walk with her.  Of course, Craig and I couldn’t be more thrilled that Rex remembered and recognized his teacher after an absence of two months and that he was able to show his affection for her in such appropriate and adorable ways.

You know what, for a Monday, this wasn’t a bad day at all.  And why should it be when I have such blessings as these in my life?

1 comment: