Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Harvest Coop

For years and years I have wanted to join a farming coop that would deliver or allow me to pick up (close to our home) fresh local produce.  Unfortunately, in any of the previous locations we have lived this was not an option.  Therefore, imagine my excitement when I found out a few months ago that a coop delivers weekly boxes at the office of Rex's cranio-sacral therapist, seven minutes from our house. I immediately signed up for a medium weekly box at $20 and yesterday we received our first one.


We got four kinds of leafy greens, radishes, green onions, beets and turnips.  I will roast the beets and turnips and we'll eat the radishes in salad along with the lettuces.  I might try my hand at making kale chips... time permitting.  The green onions are a favorite for Ella and me and there's no shortage of uses.  I am pleased with what came in this week's box and can't wait for the next one.

4 comments:

  1. Oooh - this looks great! I have been wanting to join a coop too. But every year I forget until it's too late. Putting a reminder on my 2016 calendar NOW. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roasted beets are the best. I have a recipe where I layer them with herbed goat cheese. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds delicious, but then my wee one couldn't eat them as she seems allergic to all milk. In any case, the beets were yummy and the girls enjoyed them very much followed by lots of excitement about pink pee and poo the color of red velvet cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like them grated and sauteed with potato, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Yummy. This is a great book for figuring out what to do with your coop goodies and how to store them (and where I got the beet/potato recipe): http://www.amazon.com/dp/1423600142/?tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=39576542336&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10456950398522014580&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_71vmvo7syw_b

    ReplyDelete