Hi! Just came across your story. I'm an Armenian from Australia! Does Ella speak Armenian at all? Or partake in any Armenian events? Thank you for adopting and loving her ❤
Ella spoke fluent Armenian when she came to us, but has since lost it all. We provided her with opportunities to maintain her first language, but she refused unequivocally. Within a few months, she told us, "My family speaks English, I speak English." I think she may have an interest in re-learning Armenian later on though. As far as attending Armenian events, yes, we are connected with our local Armenian community and attend some of their events. Ella is also friends with other Armenian adoptees and has regular contact with her birth family in Armenia.
Hi! Just came across your story. I'm an Armenian from Australia! Does Ella speak Armenian at all? Or partake in any Armenian events? Thank you for adopting and loving her ❤
ReplyDeleteElla spoke fluent Armenian when she came to us, but has since lost it all. We provided her with opportunities to maintain her first language, but she refused unequivocally. Within a few months, she told us, "My family speaks English, I speak English." I think she may have an interest in re-learning Armenian later on though. As far as attending Armenian events, yes, we are connected with our local Armenian community and attend some of their events. Ella is also friends with other Armenian adoptees and has regular contact with her birth family in Armenia.
Delete