There's no doubt in my mind that Emilia experienced some medical trauma during her time in Bulgaria. She was frequently sick and in medical isolation and underwent regular heart check-ups. Later, after joining our family, she had open heart surgery which magnified her fears of doctors, medical equipment and hospital settings by a million. Therefore, the last few years have been tough for Emilia in terms of medical appointments.
However, last week Emilia surprised us by staying perfectly calm during her annual pediatric check-up with our wonderful family doctor. She did not cry or cover her eyes and ears or ask for all finished, even when the doctor was taking her blood pressure and looking in her ears - her least favorites. Craig and I were so proud of her and praised her for days.
Then today, we had a scheduled dental check up. On the drive there, Emilia kept saying, "First dentist, then home" and I continued to affirm it for her. When we arrived at the office, instead of clenching her teeth, refusing to lie down and crying and screaming, Emilia asked for "no lie down, sit daddy's lap" and then proceeded to cooperate with the entire exam and cleaning. I was holding back the tears watching her.
And when she was finished, she was overjoyed and super proud of herself, jumping up and down... as am I, minus the jumping.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awwwww, way to go Emilia!!
ReplyDeleteThat is huge! I noticed at the reunion that she has come a long way. I'm so happy for you all.
ReplyDeleteThanks for noticing, Angel, that means a lot.
Delete