Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Subbotnik On A Wednesday

Today Ella and I put in our annual volunteering hours at her new school which starts after Labor Day.  Along with other families, we spent six hours getting the building and grounds ready for the school year which gave Ella a great opportunity to become familiar with the facility as well as meet some administrators and even some of her teachers.

Ella was assigned to help in the art room.  She went through several hundred markers to check if they still worked and also decorated some pins the teacher wants to use for displays throughout the year. I spent my time sweeping floors, pulling weeds, washing windows, making signs, dusting, and moving furniture.


During my rounds through the school, I was able to snap a lot of photos.  Here are one of two art classrooms on the left, a language arts classroom in the middle, and a history classroom on the right:


And here a performing arts classroom on the left, a garden that has been allowed to overgrow this summer in preparation for a Modern Day Pioneering class, and one of several lunch rooms from among which the students can choose each day:


It was a sweaty, dirty day, but we're looking forward to Open House this weekend and for Ella to start her exciting Wednesday and Friday schedule in this program.

2 comments:

  1. The title of this post made me smile so unexpected it was to see the word Subbotnik on your blog. Subbotniks were compulsory through my school's and uni's years in the USSR but I am not sure that now even my children know what it is or was.
    Thank you for sharing the struggles and successes of your kids with us. You are both wonderful parents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words, Valentina. I grew up in East Germany and subbotniks were mandatory there as well. I remember them fondly through the limited perspective of the young child I was then. I never stopped using the word though I don't have opportunity to apply it often.

      Delete