Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Reading 2021-22

My littlest home schooler is a decent reader.  You can't drive around town without her reading every sign.  I've heard her read entire stories out loud to her baby dolls.  She reads song lyrics for karaoke and she reads print ads to tell us what we should be buying.  She also navigates herself online to explore areas of interest.


But woe if we try to target reading for school.  There's a psychological block to the task that I believe was caused by the reading instruction she received while attending public school.  I'll never know exactly what happened, but it made her averse to reading on command.  In addition to combating the emotional history associated with reading for academics, we have a strong visual learner who, despite her dyspraxia, thrives by creating cues for herself as she processes information.  So, as she moves through academic material, we have to leave room and time for her to apply her preferred learning style, whatever it may look like.

A text she read with ease,
marked up as she worked her way through it.




No comments:

Post a Comment