Tuesday, April 21, 2026

From ELL To ACT

It feels fitting that it's National Library Week and I am crying over here because our Big Girl just got her ACT scores back. She scored a 31 on the reading section.


This is the same student that was told at the end of second grade not to expect to pass the Third Grade Reading Guarantee the following year, which motivated us to remove her from public school and begin home schooling. In third grade, we went back to the basics. We started with picture books and worked our way to short chapter books. I read to Big Girl for hours that year and tried to create a fun and language-rich environment.

Alongside me, many in-home teachers also poured into her over the years and I want to thank those teachers. You’ve made such a difference.

Sometimes you have to take the road less traveled and it’s a harder path that works out regardless. Test scores are never the measure of a person, but I do want to give Big Girl credit for her perseverance and hard work from a 6 yo English Language Learner to a 96th percentile reader.



1 comment: