Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Singing Through The Wait

It’s been seven months now since we left our son in Eastern Europe on a mild November day. The wait is oppressive and permeates every aspect of our life, but sometimes we try, despite the pain, to lighten the mood around here. Recently, one such moment happened when I changed the earworm in my head by just one noun, replacing every “baby” with the word “mommy”:

Give me a ticket for an aeroplane
Ain't got time to take a fast train
Lonely days are gone, I'ma goin' home
My [mommy] just wrote me a letter

I don't care how much money I gotta spend
Got to get back to my [mommy] again
Lonely days are gone, I'ma goin' home
My [mommy] just wrote me a letter

Well she wrote me a letter
Said she couldn't live without me no more
Listen mister can't you see
I gotta get back to my [mommy] once more, anyway

At first it was just me mumble-singing The Letter in the kitchen, but then suddenly Craig and I were both belting it out, letting catharsis take over and thinking of our son who will receive a card and a gift from us in a few days via another adoptive family that is visiting his orphanage. And we knew as we were singing that if all goes well from here on out, he could be home with us before the end of the summer. The wait is almost over!

4 comments:

  1. so happy things are finally moving for you. Can;t wait to hear you have travel dates. We are taveling July 15 if you want to send something to your little one with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had your version of this song stuck in my head ever since I read this post several days ago. So..just know, this song is getting some air play in NC, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet, we'll have this single on the charts in no time flat!

    ReplyDelete