Monday, June 27, 2011

This & That

It’s been a few quiet June weeks here, but I did want to post an update on some odds and ends that have been going on.

1) Even though our Giveaway Fundraiser ended, more donations have trickled in which increased our total orphanage funds by $200 to $1415. We have sent a note to each orphanage director, asking them to compile a wish list in the value of $300. Our son’s director has already replied and is asking for specific medical supplies which we will buy in-country. We are still waiting to hear back from our daughter’s orphanage. I have also been buying children’s toothbrushes and vitamins.

2) After a cold and rainy spring, my garden was finally beginning to thrive. I have a composter, so I usually get a lot of vegetables that grow spontaneously from my compost. I decided this year to let myself be surprised with some of them and just kind of allow the garden do its thing except for some herbs and tomatoes that I put in. Unfortunately, a massive hail storm about two weeks ago shredded my garden to pieces. Not sure what will bounce back and whether to start over again this late in the season. Here’s a photo from before the storm:

3) My culinary experiments usually slow down in the summer because there is so much deliciousness in season that it takes little inventiveness to make a scrumptious meal. I did, however, decide to use up some baking supplies last week and made these yummy marzipan coconut macaroons. And then we had a favorite German treat for dinner one night: Steamed Yeast Balls with Blueberry Sauce. I remember when my sister and I were little, we often asked our mom to make this dish for us when we’d been sick and were just beginning to get our appetites back.









4) My friend Amie issued a challenge at the beginning of this year to walk/run 50 miles a month. Of course, I told her no way six months ago, but by some sort of inexplicable determination, I am still in this thing. As of this morning, I have walked/run 301 miles for the year. I’m doubtful that I’ll be as successful in the next six months when my toddlers will be home.

5) Lastly, I wanted to let you know that Yvonne and I are working hard on organizing the summer reunion for families with Bulgarian adoptees. We’re both very excited about the event and cannot wait to meet everyone. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our reunion blog here.

1 comment: