As I mentioned a few days ago, I bought a large bag of mixed apples at a local orchard. I don't know how much it weighed, but it was probably at least 15 pounds for the price of $10.
My purpose with these apples was to make applesauce because both kids enjoy it so. While I was peeling and coring and slicing apple after apple, I really wished I had a sous chef around here. Finally the first batch was ready to cook...
... and be turned into this final product.
The next day I made a second batch of applesauce which yielded two more quarts for the freezer and a big bowl for the fridge to eat right away. But I still had five more pounds of apples, so I decided to experiment and make my first ever apple butter.
Here are the apples covered in spices and ready to simmer in the crock pot all day.
This is what they looked like after cooking for about five hours.
And here's the apple butter at the end of the day, stirred smooth with a wire whisk.
I don't think the half jar is going to last too long around here because this stuff turned out to be quite delicious. I am saving the full jar until Thanksgiving though to serve with our big feast.
In other autumnal happenings, I made pumpkin spice muffins for Rex's teacher-therapists. I thought they looked quite yummy.
No comments:
Post a Comment