About a month ago, I reached out to the Bulgarian adoption community, seeking advice about the possibility of a birth family search. There were so many holes in Emilia's story which, if possible, Craig and I wanted to fill in sooner rather than later, so that we could share the information with Emilia as appropriate during her years of growing up.
Some families recommended a searcher in Sofia, so we contracted with him to find Emilia's birth family. Less than three weeks later, yesterday, we received several photos, a video, names, dates, and a lot of additional details about Emilia's history. Part of it is heartbreaking and will be difficult to explain to Emilia many years from now; other aspects of her story speak of great love paired with painful loss.
There was joy in Emilia's birth relatives' eyes at the sight of her in photos and at the knowledge that she is treasured as our daughter. For me, it's amazing to recognize my sweet girl in the faces and bodies of her birth family. Now I know where she got her left stick-out ear, her big feet, the gorgeous tone of her skin and hair, and her beautiful eyes. I have a better understanding of her family medical history which will be so valuable for Emilia in the future. Most importantly, now I can be confident I am right when, each night, I whisper into Emilia's ear that she's loved in two mamas' hearts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Hi Viviane,
ReplyDeleteWe adopted our daughter from Dobrich almost 2 years ago. Could you please share your researcher's contact info? Please email me at: haritini_modopoulos@yahoo.gr
Thanks a lot!!!
Haritini
I just emailed you. Sorry I didn't see your comment sooner.
ReplyDelete