I had some pretty ambitious culinary plans for this three-day weekend which all started with my dropping about $50 with one of our favorite farmers. I bought tomatoes, fifteen pounds of peaches, five pounds of plums, and some corn.
When I came back home, the first thing I made was summer salsa, so it would have time to meld in the fridge until we were ready for snacking:
Next I made a plum cake, using my Oma's recipe. No one makes it quite like she used to, but this was delicious and brought a smile to my face with so many childhood memories. The cake didn't last 24 hours:
Then I went down to my garden and harvested lots of basil to make spicy pesto which we will keep in the fridge for the next few months. Rex enjoyed a GFDF grilled cheese sandwich with pesto right away. He's so got the opposite of a sweet tooth:
This morning I made a batch of peach jam:
And this afternoon a batch of peach-plum jamly. I decided to call it that because it's kind of a mix between jam and jelly. I didn't juice the fruits, but I did run them through the food processor to turn them into a puree before cooking:
Twelve jars of preserves for the winter along with two big bowls full of them in the fridge for immediate consumption:
Then I made 28 cubes of freezer peach sauce to enjoy with yogurt or icecream and last, a pot of Arborio rice cooked in coconut milk with fresh diced peaches. I will divvy this up into portions and freeze it for Emilia who loves this rice and fruit concoction:
We still have plenty of peaches and some plums left to eat. If we can't get through them quickly enough, I will make some kind of frozen peach treat for the kids to enjoy in the coming months.
And now I am spent.
Yum, yum, yummy!!
ReplyDeleteAwesome! On our trip over the mountains, we came home with 25 pounds of apples (for applesauce, apple pie filling and apple butter) and 20 pounds of peaches (also for canning). Should be a yummy winter! :)
ReplyDeleteyou go girl! sounds delicious. Calvin also prefers salt over sugar!
ReplyDelete