Friday, January 24, 2014

It's A Heart Thing

Today Emilia passed her pre-op exams for her open heart surgery on Monday.  We were at the hospital for about three and a half hours for blood work, x-rays, a physical, an EKG, as well as meetings with the surgeon and anesthesiologist.

Even though we have had months to prepare, it's still really hard for me to wrap my mind around the fact that my little girl will undergo a major surgery three days from now. I have had many sleepless nights and anxiety attacks thinking about it all.  I have questioned if we should pull the breaks as parents and hold off for another year to see if things with her heart might get better. But what if things would get worse as the cardiologists expect?

Aside from all the risks of the surgery itself, one of the hardest aspects for me to accept is the scar.  Our littlest nephew had open heart surgery two years ago, so I know what those scars look like early on and later.  For boys and men, scars are badges of honor, cause for tall tales, sources of pride. But for girls and women?  I think of our society's ideals for beauty, smooth, flawless skin among them, along with our bellies and chests as points of attraction for mates.  After this surgery, Emilia's body will not be par with that standard, no matter what.

by Carrie Lynne Photography

How will she feel about it?  How will she handle it?  Will she hide the scar or show it off as her cousin does?  How will it affect her search for a partner?  Will she meet someone who can find appeal and beauty in her scar?  Or someone who can look totally beyond it and recognize the survivor she is?  Maybe I am just projecting my own fears and perceptions about scars onto my child.  Maybe she will have no problem wearing her scar with confidence and telling people that it's a symbol of her own bravery and strength.  Only time will tell, but it weighs heavily on me that today I signed papers allowing the doctors to alter my daughter's body in a way that may not be completely positive for her life.

Please keep Emilia in your thoughts on Monday as she undergoes this major procedure.  If all goes according to plan, she will be in the OR from about noon to 4:00 pm and then lightly sedated in the ICU at least overnight before we can move to a regular room.  She will have many lines and machines hooked up to her for a few days, measuring vitals and pumping drugs into her system.  Her heart will be stopped for about an hour during the surgery.  We want her body, spirit, and mind to be sound when she wakes up on Tuesday, so please unite with us in this wish for our cherished daughter.

6 comments:

  1. You may have made a decision that will leave a mark on her body forever, but you also made a decision to give her a better quality of life, health and longevity. Anyone who loves her, now, or years from now, will always be grateful for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree w/ what Beth said. Thinking of you all. I know how hard it is to send them away for surgery. But in the end, it is such a piece of mind to know it will be healed. She'll be running around in no time laughing and playing to her heart's content. Sending many hugs and good vibes your way my friend. See you in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I've been a silent reader of your blog for many months now, following your wonderful journey of giving a home for Rex and Emilia, cheering as their eyes got brighter month after month of getting home...

    I've had heart surgery, when I was 5. I'm 34 now, and the scar has never ever caused any issues for me. As I child, I never even gave much thought for it, and later, as a teenager and as a woman, I felt an immense gratitude for the surgeon. Because she, as a fellow woman, had obviously given thought for my body and not just my heart, when doing the surgery, as she made the incision not vertically on the middle of my chest, but rather horizontally, from almost the middle of my chest to my side, in line of my left armpit. Now, after all these years, it is just a very thin, white line, that runs exactly where the underwire of my bra is - so it is invisible, even if I only have a bikini or lingerie on.

    I'm not sure, what kind of incision Emilia will have, but another thing, I might mention, is that - probably because the surgery was made early on, like for Emilia - I grew to accept the scar as part of me. It wasn't different from having blue eyes, while others have brown... it was there, as long as I remember, it is part of the image, I've always seen in the mirror - so for me, it's just normal...

    I hope, Emilia will feel the same way and I hope, no, I'm sure, she will grow up to be a happy and healthy woman :-)

    Lots of Love,
    Lia from Hungary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking of you and most especially Emilia today. Prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and Emilia will be in our thoughts and prayers. I know how difficult Isla's palate surgery was and heart surgery is so much more. Wishing her a speedy and healthy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wanted to let you know...my good friend's daughter had open heart as a toddler. Her scar is a source of joy for her and her family. She calls it her "zipper" and when asked at school (she's 5) what she's thankful for, that was her number 1, because she knows it made her heart better. God bless you and Emilia.

    ReplyDelete