Sunday, July 20, 2014

Weekend Wrap

Yesterday we had a terrific day.  In the morning, we met up with another adoptive family whose daughter was at the same orphanage as Rex, though not at the same time.  We spent a few hours at a park downtown where the kids enjoyed the playground and splash area.


We didn't worry too much about food.  Our friends brought a delicious fruit salad and I made a coconut custard pie for all to enjoy.  It wasn't quite a lunch, but we happily made do.


We came home for naps and dinner which was a favorite sandwich that we first had on a summer vacation: bacon, egg salad, tomato and avocado on focaccia (and just in case you're wondering, burnt is the only way that I can handle bacon):


Then we went to visit friends who are having a bumper crop of squash and cucumbers, so they gave us two big bags full of their garden's bounty.  This isn't even half of the beautiful produce we brought home:

Gorgeous, right?

Tonight, we had zucchini chowder and I roasted some of the other squash to make soup to freeze.  I'll finish that tomorrow.  Also baking some zucchini bread then.

Last night, Craig and I watched 12 Years A Slave to finish off a great Saturday.

Of course, today the kids decided they would make life miserable.  They both have been having a rough day with no naps and a lot more noise, restlessness, disobedience, whining, and destructiveness than usual.  Both have been picky with their food and very demanding.  We have not been able to let either child out of our sight all day, even here at home.  Interestingly, they were so united in their mission to test us as parents, that they have had some real tender moments between them.  I guess that's today's silver lining, right?  Have a great week, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment