Friday, November 13, 2015

News From MOJ and NGOs in Bulgaria

Accredited Bulgarian NGOs and officials at the Bulgarian Ministry of Justice met today to discuss issues in international adoption.  Among the topics were statistics on children waiting for families and registered families, a possible service for connecting with birth families, and compulsory inscription of children into the international adoption register as soon as certain objective, legal conditions have been met.  For details, please go here.

3 comments:

  1. TU for posting this! This is our NGO. Based on your experience with the B government, how quickly do you expect these changes to the family code to take place? Particularly "A very important change will be the elimination of the subjective judgment of children's social workers regarding the adoptability of the children placed in foster families and Centers for Family Type Accommodation and for those children to be subjected to compulsory inscription in the register for adoption as soon as certain objective conditions occur. This will certainly increase significantly the number of the children that are registered for adoption."

    I had heard this was holding up the children from being placed for adoption so excited if this change could occur soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the children considered non-adoptable by social workers in Bulgaria likely have severe special needs, so while the total number of children ready to be adopted will increase, the number of children that are healthy or have minor needs will probably not grow due to this new law when it goes into effect. It's absolutely wonderful for the children who otherwise would not get a chance at finding a family, but I don't expect this change to decrease wait times for parents looking to bring home a younger child with minor needs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your insight! I just have no idea for us how long to expect (not that anyone does-ha!). I feel like we are open to many needs and have about 75 or so we said we would be open to, though I wouldn't consider them severe. However, because our eldest is 4, we are in the most popular age range of 0 to 4. I'm always excited when I see any update from the MOJ! Again, thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete