As I posted a few days ago, last week the US Embassy in Sofia decided at the provisional visa interview that we were not approved to adopt a child with our daughter’s particular medical needs. We were instructed to file an I-800A Supplement 3 with USCIS. Craig and I really did not understand why this decision was made because our homestudy and USCIS approval clearly state that we can adopt a child with any correctable medical needs, such as those our daughter has.
Having been through this before, I knew what I had to do and began contacting our homestudy agency for an addendum, filling out USCIS paperwork, and compiling supporting documents. Craig, however, had other plans.
On Wednesday morning at 2:00 am, Craig got up and called the embassy in Sofia directly. He was able to discuss our case personally with the vice consul there. In their exchange, it turned out that the vice consul had never seen the updated and additional medical information we have on our daughter. He had only been presented with her initial referral report, much of which was simply wrong. He instructed Craig to send him the documents which he promptly did. A few hours later when we both got up for the day, Craig had an email from the vice consul stating that he reviewed our case again along with the additional medical information and would be issuing our daughter’s Article 5 Letter immediately.
I cannot tell you what a relief it was to learn that we would not lose weeks, if not months, in the process by having to file a Supplement 3. And it was my husband who made it all happen for his little girl. He went out on a limb, took matters into his own hands, circumvented agency red tape, and got it done. He is my hero on any ordinary day, but on Wednesday he simply outdid himself.
Today we got word from our agency that our daughter’s paperwork has been submitted to MOJ for the remaining signature needed before court can be scheduled. Fingers crossed that we can get the signature before the August government vacation and get on the court docket in early September.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
yeah!
ReplyDeleteWonderful news!!! SO happy for you. Our 3 I-800's have been received. Now, just to hurry up and process them. I'm right behind you in this process so waiting for your every move. LOL. I can not tell you what a relief it was to read this post from you. BTW, way to go husband!!!
ReplyDeleteGreat work, Craig! Viviane--I am so happy for you....you have been through so much in this process...feels like you're on a good roll now!! Your family will be coming together very soon!!
ReplyDeleteCRAG! (Is awesome)
ReplyDeleteGo Craig!!! I know I often felt that if I knew who or what department to contact, that so much could have been solved much more easily. The trail of information from one office to another agency to another agency and finally to us as parents just seems to be conducive to things not getting done in a timely manner! I am SO SO SO happy for you to have jumped this hurtle!
ReplyDeleteso happy this delay was avoided. You have proven that when there is personal contact, so many of these type things can be avoided. How often have we all longed to just talk to someone?? Good for you!
ReplyDelete