Thursday, August 4, 2011

The Face That Launch'd A Thousand Ships

Four months after our dossier had been registered in Bulgaria, I saw a little boy listed with our agency on Rainbow Kids. Just a DOB, one sentence about his medical needs, no photo. I inquired and was told he was not in Bulgaria, but a few days later his info was shared with me anyway. I had at least a dozen emails about him in my inbox, but the one I opened first had this photo:


I will never forget the moment I saw him. My heart started pounding and racing, my body felt like lightning had gone through it, I was giddy. And my brain said, how can you adopt this child from Armenia? Another dossier? Tens of thousands of dollars in additional fees? And what about Bulgaria? And while all of these things were spinning through my mind, somewhere deep inside I already knew that this was my son and that I would move heaven and earth, launch a thousand ships, to bring him home.

2 comments: