Monday, February 20, 2012

Emilia - Thirteen Weeks Home

I am a little behind, but as of Saturday Emilia has been home with us for thirteen weeks. She’s doing great. I am most impressed at how much her confidence has improved. She’s still mostly a quiet girl and likes to play by herself, but as soon as Craig or I are in reach, she comes over to hug us, to be bounced or tossed into the air, or to just snuggle and sit with us. On Friday night, she spontaneously gave me a first kiss on the lips which I know was not easy for her.

Emilia is easily eating her 800-900 calories a day now. Some days she has pushed closer to 1000 fussing for more food. I am working on gritty lunches with her now, fork-mashed food or roughly pureed table food. She's done well with all of it except the oatmeal. She’s enjoyed selections like sweet potato, kale and couscous casserole, roughly pureed with olive oil and vegetable broth and steamed zucchini and onion, roughly pureed with olive oil, vegetable broth and quinoa. Per our OT's advice, Craig is also pushing down on her lower gums with the toothbrush to encourage her to push back up against it which she is doing. Apparently this stimulates the chewing muscles. They also told me to push down on her tongue with a spoon while she eats, but I am not doing that as I think it would have a negative effect on attachment as well as on the trust she and I have built around food.


Emilia can be very tenacious in her approach to Rex. There have been times when I have had to protect Rex from Emilia who loves to grab his collar and just hang on for dear life. Rex could be dragging her behind him and she wouldn’t let go. She tries to engage him throughout the day and sometimes he gives in.

We are pretty sure that Emilia says hi/hey now and also dada. I believe I have heard her say ball once or twice, but for the most part, I think she’s still wondering if verbal communication is worth it. She does make wonderful eye contact as noted by everyone who meets her and is smiles and love nearly all the time. She even had her first flirt at Whole Foods two days ago when she simply charmed a handsome young man with her sweet face and demeanor. We’re going to be in trouble come teenagehood!

Update: Shortly after I posted this entry, Emilia climbed up our 14 stairs on her own for the first time. Now I have two kids who want to play in the loft.

2 comments:

  1. love the updates, and seeing a picture of you finally !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I sent you a picture of Rex and me once...

    ReplyDelete