Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rex - Forty-Five Weeks Home

Today marks forty-five weeks home and forty-seven weeks out of the orphanage for Rex.  The last two weeks around here have been really busy with lots of summer activities, so I have not taken as much note as I should of Rex’s development.  Hence, this may be short.

Rex continues to receive 21 hours of therapy a week and is learning new things all the time.  He has mastered stomping in imitation and during the song If You’re Happy and You Know It.  He also looks at books when they are read to him.  His matching skills are improving and he is getting quite good with inset puzzles.  Rex independently and spontaneously signs eat, drink, finished, spoon, music, swing, light, go and he’s working hard on the signs for spin, jump, and sandwich.  Certain signs like cracker are still hit and miss where sometimes he walks up and signs it because he sees I have a bag of tortilla chips out and sometimes he signs it to request something entirely different from a cracker or chip.  This is not uncommon as he still lacks so much language for all of the things in his life, so he is trying to request with the words he does have.

Rex moved the rocking chair
from the window to this spot
so he could watch Youtube better.

Climbing is Rex’s big thing at the moment.  If it can be climbed or even if you think it can’t, Rex is at least going to make an attempt.  I had to take away all of his step stools because they were like a gateway drug to much more dangerous endeavors, like trying to scale the loft banister or the deck railing.  He is really keeping me on my toes.  Rex has been sensory-seeking for about a week, but I am proud to report that he is finding outlets to handle his needs.  He’s been asking to swing a lot or spin in his saucer and he goes onto the trampoline and jumps on his own when he needs it.  He did 570 consecutive jumps a few nights ago.  His strength, stamina and muscle tone are just so improved.


Kicking back in a quiet place

We took Rex to the pool last week and he did better than expected.  He dipped his feet and was very interested in watching the big boys jump in.  He laughed out loud every time his face got splashed.  He will be doing a lot of swimming at his summer camp in August and then at least weekly swims at his preschool.

 Too hot at the campground?

Rex’s tantrums have decreased greatly and it’s been over ten days since he had a real melt-down.  Now when there a little episodes, typical for toddlers, he appears to understand when we tell him to calm down and really tries.  He rarely hits himself anymore either and when he does, it’s completely half-hearted.  Rex has been sleeping through the night and waking up happy which is huge because he often used to wake up violently with screaming and auto-aggression.  I know these behaviors might resurface when his schedule changes for preschool, but for now we are happy that when he awakens, he knows where he is and he feels safe.  There have been mornings where I have walked into the room and Rex was just quietly lying on his bed wide awake, taking his time to get up.  On other mornings I only know he’s awake because I hear the bathroom fan come on as Rex plays.

He found the source of the music
at the campground dance

In food news, Rex ate grapes one day when he was very thirsty and we did not have a drink on hand, but he has refused them since.  He loved the blueberry lemon cobbler I baked and is eating a variety of sandwiches now.  I am trying out different toppings and spreads to see what will work in his lunchbox in the fall.  Rex was just crazy about the pies that his grandma made over the fire at the campground: toasted bread, pizza sauce, cheese, pepperoni… what’s not to like?  We were there for three dinners over the course of a week and I think he ate seven pies.

With July approaching quickly, I am feeling very retrospective.  We adopted Rex on July 11, took him out of the orphanage on July 14 and arrived home on July 28.  I cannot believe it has been almost a year… and really what a year it’s been.  There will be a number of posts next month to commemorate the events of July 2011 and to celebrate one year of being a family.

No comments:

Post a Comment