Sunday, June 3, 2012

Strawberry Palooza

Yesterday morning, just in the nick of time before their season is over, my friend Marie (aka Rex's therapist Ms. Rie) and I headed out to pick strawberries at a local orchard.  I had a great time chatting with Marie in the fresh air and sunshine while gathering thirteen pounds of glorious berries for my family.


When I got home, I had to start thinking about how to preserve the berries, but I wanted to make sure we first got to eat to our hearts' content.  So, for dessert last night we had strawberry fudge sundaes.  Yum.


 For breakfast this morning, we had strawberry banana smoothies.  More yum.


For brunch we had homemade whole grain waffles with maple syrup, whipped cream and, what else, strawberries.  Now this is what I call the good life on a Sunday morning.


We still have a big bowl of strawberries on the counter just for snacking and adding to cereal and yogurt and so on until they are gone.

But then came the harder and more work-extensive part of preserving the remaining pounds of fruit.  So first, I made some strawberry raspberry sorbet for Emilia. She likes to eat cool treats with us, but due to her dairy allergy she cannot handle much ice-cream.  Sorbet is a great alternative for her.


Next I made seven jars of freezer jam with one additional bowl that went straight into the fridge for our immediate enjoyment.


And then I ran the final batch of strawberries through the blender with some sugar and lemon juice to make strawberry sauce (frozen in ice-cube trays) that we can enjoy on cakes, sundaes, yogurt, etc.


It's been a busy weekend for me in the kitchen, but I am really happy with what I have put up to enjoy until the next strawberry season and with how delicious our menu has been these last two days due to fresh strawberries galore.  Now in a week or two, I am ready to do this all again with blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment