Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Here's The Scoop

Sometime back in the spring, I think it was April or May, I decided that Rex should enter preschool with some decent feeding skills.  So I set a goal for him and me that he would be able to drink from an open cup unassisted as well as eat from a fork and from a spoon on his own by the start of preschool.

Rex learned drinking from an open cup very quickly once we pushed the skill.  It took a while until we didn’t have any more spills and drips, but he’s a pro now.  He’s even starting to put the cup back onto the counter by himself when he is finished.  The next thing Rex accomplished with a lot of practice was using a fork for food that was already bite-sized.  He’s quite good at it at this point. However, the scooping with a spoon seemed to elude him.  We have been working on it with him as have some of his therapists, but he just wasn’t willing or able.  In recent weeks though, there’s suddenly been some progress.  Rex was at least attempting to scoop smooth foods like yogurt without help.  And then today at lunch, he decided to go for something trickier: spaghettios (I know, I know) and homemade extra-garlicky meatballs.  And voila, he did it!



What a super boy who's meeting Mama's goals just in the nick of time.

1 comment:

  1. Everytime I see your children accomplish a new task it makes me smile so big! I can't believe he is off to pre-school in a couple of weeks-they are growing up way too fast!!

    ReplyDelete