For our family, quite a few weeks went down the drain due to illness. We practically spent the entire month of January recuperating from last winter's nasty flu and now we have been sick again for April, too. Rex started us off at Easter with a stomach thing (what happens in Wauseon stays in Wauseon). It took about a week to get him straightened out again with eating, sleeping and BM patterns. I was hit by something different next. I had no GI symptoms, but was just achy and spent several days going from sweaty to freezing and over again. And I was tired, so tired. I could have slept for days. And now Craig is under the weather, so luckily the weekend is here for him to get some rest.
This second illness in just a few months made me realize that I have not been taking the best of care of myself. I usually put everyone else's needs before mine which might not always be the best strategy. So, I am trying to do better, keeping up with taking my vitamins, getting more fresh air, and drinking more water each day. I am not going to put the pressure to exercise on myself because then that's just one more thing to stress over. If it happens, great. If not, life goes on.
My mom's visit was another very large and productive chunk of time of 2013, too. Remnants of her stay still linger throughout the house and I find it hard to believe that she left over two weeks ago. One of the projects I completed while my mom was here was to put together baskets for a silent auction to benefit Rex's preschool. We ended up with 18 baskets and raised over $1400 in a week which is a huge and unexpected success and will greatly help the 14 children who attend Rex's preschool. I can't wait to see some new equipment in the classroom.
It feels really good right now that summer plans are in place. We are very excited to be welcoming a Swiss teen into our home for eight weeks to help us with everyday tasks and especially with entertaining our kids. We hope she will have a good time here, improve her English, and learn something about children with special needs. Vacations have been booked, too. We will kick off the season camping for a few days with Craig's mom followed by the Bulgarian and Armenian reunions and then a week at the beach. Right now that seems so far away, but by the time we go, summer will be almost over and I'm sure I'll be wondering about the months slipping away again.
It's weird how time seems to speed up when we get older, isn't it? When I was little, an afternoon could drag on forever and summer break was practically an eternity. Now, in the grind of the everyday, sometimes I don't remember the difference between one day from the next (Did my kids poop today? Yeah, or wait... was that yesterday?) and when I go to bed some nights, it feels like I just got up.
~
How did it get so late so soon?
It’s night before it’s afternoon.
December is here before it’s June.
My goodness how the time has flewn.
How did it get so late so soon?
~ Dr. Seuss
No comments:
Post a Comment