Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Lahmajun Martini Style

One of the really affordable and delicious street foods you can buy in Armenia is lahmajun.



Not too long ago, I realized that the "pizza" I now prepare for Rex regularly is much more like lahmajun than pizza as we know it here in the US.

I always start with beef and a variety of vegetables that I saute with assorted herbs and spices.  No two batches are ever exactly the same because I never measure and the ingredients are chosen based on my mood.


After the meat is fully cooked, I add marinara and/or canned tomatoes to the pan and let it simmer a little longer.


Finally everything goes into the blender and then I spread the mixture onto a gluten-free bread base like thinly sliced bagels or focaccia.  Typically I make around a dozen single serve portions at once which I then freeze and just pop into the toaster oven for Rex as needed.


And there you have it, our little Armenian gets his own pretty close version of lahmajun which he enjoys tremendously as does his Bulgarian sister.

1 comment: